Friday, October 10, 2014

Home Renovations



I promised you I'd show the improvements, and although I'm still making picture frames and buying carpet, here are the updates to my apartment so far. Now, remember that I have to find the stores first (often on my bike), then I have to find the right colour or size, and then I haggle for the price, then get it home, so it isn't quite the same as ordering online or driving to Home Depot, but lots more fun!

The first picture shows the glass above my door which the maintenance department kindly fixed (by shaving the glass to fit and hammering in a few nails to make it stay. But the duct tape keeps out the flies!

My bed is really a box-spring, so I got tired of feeling all the springs. Fortunately I found a friendly foam-cutter who had a piece just the right size!

The white piece is for my little loveseat that has only a wooden seat.

only wiped out a mop and some bushes by the road......


Done!!

Beautiful spot for devos and tea! (If only the railing outside was a balcony.....)
Next reno: the bathroom "doors":

Since guests really didn't want us to watch them powder their noses, I scoured the city for opaque sticky paper that didn't have Christmas, plaid, or bears designs. The first piece of vinyl came off easily; the next green, not so much. But I did find out where to buy razor blades.



Ta-da! by the way, the orange blanket is a hanging to help insulate the metal front door in the winter.














New flooring...well almost
One evening on the way to eat, I noticed a pile of vinyl flooring by our dumpster, so on the way back, picked out a piece for the entrance hall. True re-using!  Now all I have to do is roll it back when I have a shower so the underside doesn't get wet.




















       

The buildings  opposite us had broken, wooden windows. During the summer they were refurbished, with new paint, new plumbing in bathroom, new kitchen sink (no cupboards), and new tenants.
Before
Most of the workwomen wear fancy hats.
 Next job: painting a side table!

No comments:

Post a Comment