Friday, January 24, 2014

View from my Window

Now, I'm not really a peeping Tom, but a curious Beth. My window catches a myriad of slices from everyday life in Lhasa. I'll include the mountain photos on another blog.

 My apartment is against the side wall of our College Campus. This is the view of our building from across the road and river/canal. My window is the sixth from the left, behind the bushes.This road is an unpaved access road to 3 neighbourhoods. It's quieter than the busy front street, but still has constant traffic.

From my window I can just see the Potala Palace, in the centre of Lhasa. You can see it in the 2nd photo, peaking out from beside the middle School gymnasium.


This is the way they cut the grass!
No Toro or Lawnboy here. (and he only cut it once this fall - now why couldn't I get away with that at my house?)

Students and teachers use this area to wash clothes at the irrigation spigot, then dry them on the line, even in cold weather. (The girl was washing her hair on December 5th.) It makes me even more thankful for my little washing machine, even if it is held together with duct tape!















Clothes dry quickly in the strong afternoon sun.


























 Students study well into the night in quiet spots, since most live in the dorm room which house 8 beds.

 
 

 These girls were having lunch on Dec. 15th - you can imagine how cold it is! You can see that the grass has died.
 Evey day I hear mooing - and a herd of 6-7 cows leisurely find their way back from the main road. This day there was someone herding them - the easy way!











 Given the way the taxi drivers drive, I'm surprised I haven't seen more cars this banged up (and being towed by a dump truck.)












Every day at least 3 huge trucks  full of coal chunks back themselves into the business across the road, then dozens of cars, trucks and wagons come out with white bags of bricks for cooking and heating.



 Sunset from my window, approx 6:30. The white is frost forming - no snow!

And some days I don't see anything from my window! (until I scrape the ice away). But it does melt by 10:00 a.m. and then I enjoy the wonderful sun in my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment