Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Aug 26 My Apartment


Aug 26 Lhasa Teachers’ College.
Welcome to my residence!
My 3rd floor apartment is cozy and interestingly furnished by years of teachers. This morning I bought bleach, unclogged the vacuum cleaner and filled a pail with cement dust. The squatty potty is so narrow I can clean it and the sink while I shower! The kitchen has 2 propane burners, a small fridge, a microwave;  and the wide window brings in beautiful south light. I think I’ll spend a lot of time reading on my bed in the sunlight. You can see the Potala in the distance.The last picture is the view as you step into my front door (yes, that's plain cement - easy to sweep and the water from the shower sits in puddles there. The WC was added quite a few years ago (hence the sliding glass doors which are thinner than 10" cement walls)- there are still outside washrooms next door which were used before they installed inside plumbing!


Each morning I awake to marching music over the loudspeaker of the middle school across the canal. I make oatmeal or eggs each morning, then have lunch in the teachers cafeteria.  I'm getting used to the propane stove and have made a few dinners; often Chris and I go to one of the tiny restaurants outside the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment