Friday, February 26, 2016

September 2015 Tibet Academy of Social Science

September 2015  Tibet Academy of Social Science

Well, after 2 positions falling through I was invited to teach at Tibet Academy of Social Science, a campus where most people are researching and publishing books. My team mate Mark and I live in a 2 story fourplex, with a front yard bounded by a tall wall. Our students range from high schoolers, to mature students, tour guides, publishers, nurses and doctors. I teach 3 afternoons a week (during their lunch break), and 4 evenings 7-9:30. My apartment is triple the size of my old one at LTC. Although it lacks a view of the Potala Palace, the lower altitude, enclosed area and trees make it warmer and a little less dusty. I love sitting in warm sun, being able to heat just my bedroom, cooking in a kitchen with counters and a bigger oven, and using my western bathroom. As you see by the kitchen sink, I've used my trusty duct tape in at least 10 places, plus calked around the tub and sink, and tried to screw in the cupboard hinges.
The former teaching building was torn down (the new one can be seen through the front gate below), so Mark teaches in a large office/boardroom, and I squeeze my classes into the empty apartment on the first floor. Here are a few photos of TASS, my apartment and my classes. It has been a challenge just to access my blog site, so I'll just add all the photos without captions. sorry it has taken so long to post! I will add more posts of students, sights around Lhasa, my January travels, and warm stories in future posts. Don't forget to email me if you have any questions!























No comments:

Post a Comment