Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Hong Kong January 12th to 28th, 2014

Hong Kong   Jan.12 to Jan 28th

Dear Kathleen met me at the airport, and my first experience in Hong Kong (other than many trips through HK on tour buses filled with university students with Camp China) was through the window of a double-decker bus winding across bridges, through tunnels and along narrow streets. Kathleen lives in Kowloon (on the mainland) in a huge condo complex(see photo of her view) with stores on the first level. Her sofa bed was very comfortable and I spent many hours recouping, reading and enjoying the fast wifi. Kathleen and I took full advantage of the subways and trains and I refilled my transit card many times. Downtown Kowloon is filled with shoppers from around the world (particularly from the mainland) wheeling suitcases. I couldn't believe the line-ups to enter designer stores such as Prada and Coach. Purses there cost more than a months salary! But the crowded street markets and Marks & Spensers had interesting 'stuff' and I was able to buy winter clothes (particularly boots large enough to fit 2 pairs of socks). I kept saying that I wished I owned an escalator repair business - I would be making a fortune! Inside malls have at least 3 sets of 6-8 story escalators, and many outside markets/streets use escalators too.
Hong Kong is full of history and I tried to visit as many museums as I could, enjoying the peace and often pretty views. Hong Kong, like Vancouver, is never far from the water and has many walkways along the shore. Kathleen and I also enjoyed an Artwalk, where hundreds of artists held open house in an industrial area of north Kowloon -from realistic to abstract, paintings to sculpture- all showing the wonderful creativity God has given us. We took the Star ferry to Hong Kong central then a double decker around the island to the less busy south side with breathtaking quiet beaches and had lunch at Stanley, once a little fishing village, now a resort town. Another day I took the ferry and road a street car from one end of Hong Kong central to the other, enjoying a marine defense museum, then took a bus up to the Peak for a long walk around the peak then wandered around capturing views and waiting for the famous sunset and night colours. Many of the buildings changed colour, and one tower flashed at least 20 different greetings on its 30 story tower. Sure wish I had a night lense on my camera, but I am reassured to see advertisements shot from the peak with the same smoggy background!

So please enjoy the photos. The last picture is my brother's Museum of the History of Hong Kong. My next blog will be full of those photos.







 This is Stanley once a little fishing village, on the south side of the island.








No comments:

Post a Comment